One of several delightful cottages in Stoke Charity. Stoke Charity is around 6 miles to the north east of Winchester and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1085. In 904, Edward the Elder probably granted the area of the present parish to Hyde Abbey as part of the manor of Micheldever.
Stoke Charity also had a manor house and home farm, which employed most of the population as farm labourers up until the late 19th century. Watercress beds were well developed and numerous in Stoke Charity until recently. These were fed by the River Dever, which is a tributary of the River Test.