Photography, Scotland, Travel, Uncategorised  Comments Off on Blackhouse
Mar 252019

Even though this is painted white, it is a blackhouse.

A blackhouse (Scottish Gaelic: t(a)igh-dubh) is a traditional type of house which used to be common in the Scottish Highlands, the Hebrides, and Ireland.

The origin of the name blackhouse is of some debate. It could be less than 150 years old and may have been synonymous with inferior. On Lewis, in particular, it seems to have been used to distinguish the older blackhouses from some of the newer white-houses (Scottish Gaelic: taigh-geal), with their harled (rendered) stone walls. There may also be some confusion arising from the phonetic similarity between the dubh, meaning black, and tughadh, meaning thatch.

The buildings were generally built with double wall dry-stone walls packed with earth, and were roofed with wooden rafters covered with a thatch of turf with cereal straw or reed. The floor was generally flagstones or packed earth and there was a central hearth for the fire. There was no chimney for the smoke to escape through. Instead the smoke made its way through the roof. This led to the soot blackening of the interior which may also have contributed to the adoption of name blackhouse.

The blackhouse was used to accommodate livestock as well as people. People lived at one end and the animals lived at the other with a partition between them.

This is near Malacleit, North Uist, Outer Hebrides.

Another Sunday, another church

 Photography, Shutterchance  Comments Off on Another Sunday, another church
Mar 242019

St Leonard’s Church, Burseledon.

From their website:

The church in Bursledon can trace its history back to the last half of the twelfth century, from both architectural evidence present in the building, and documentary sources. In the twelfth century St. Leonard’s would have been a simple, small, stone church of nave and chancel, similar to thousands of village churches being built across England at this time.

We are very fortunate that the foundation charter for this church still survives; permission was given to the monks of Hamble Priory to build a chapel here some time between 1129 and 1171. The charter tells us that, before this church was built, Bursledon’s ‘mother church’ was at Bishop’s Waltham. This would have been quite a journey for the faithful on every Sunday and Holy day; no wonder then that the charter states the reason for St. Leonard’s construction was for the ‘convenience of the parishioners’. Even after the monks had built a chapel here, parishioners were obliged to still make procession to Bishop’s Waltham twice yearly, and to keep paying certain alms and tithes to their old mother church.

Hamble Priory had been founded in 1109 by Benedictine monks from near Chartres, France; many such ‘alien’ monasteries grew up in the wake of the Norman conquest. These monks probably also built the parish church of Hound, less than two miles away. There are certainly similarities between the style of the two churches; a visit to Hound church is well worthwhile, perhaps suggesting how St. Leonard’s would have looked prior to its extension. (Hound church is kept locked but can be opened upon request.)

All churches can be given a ‘date’ by the styles of architecture they contain: St. Leonard’s has features that seem to confirm that it was indeed founded in the later twelfth century. The simple elegance of the Chancel Arch, dividing the nave from the raised area at the east end of the church, is of early English style and can be dated to 1190-1300. The font is perhaps earlier and, although unfinished and retooled in places, it is of transitional style dateable to 1160-1190.

The blocked doorways in the nave, presumably once the main access points for monks and congregation before the Victorian extension, date to the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The small lancet window in the chancel, although restored in 1888-9 is of a thirteenth-century design.

Once St. Leonard’s had been completed, it would have been a prominent landmark for the large numbers of people who depended upon the River Hamble for transportation and employment. Rivers such as this were the lifeblood of the economy, the ‘motorways’ of the past, and very many ancient churches are founded close to them, for ease of access and also perhaps as a visible reminder of the central place that God and the church had in everyday life. It is only in the last century that tree growth has come to obscure a view of St.Leonard’s from the river; the Earl of Southampton’s map of about 1610 clearly shows Bursledon church as the most prominent building in the settlement.